- May, 15/05/2017
“Michael Sirivianos from the Cyprus University of Technology was interviewed by the Politis Radio with Katerina Eliadi on ENCASE and fake news show. More information can be found here”:
- 6th of May 2017: “On May 6th, 2017 coverage of the 4chan paper and an interview of Jeremy Blackburn (Telefonica Research) on how forums that disseminate fake stories affect what news we see. Details can be found here”: http://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/a-beginners-guide-to-4chan-the-site-you-never-knew-was-influencing-you-1-5006102?platform=hootsuite
- 3rd – 5th of May 2017: “On May 3rd – 5th, 2017 on the Detection of Images Containing Child-Pornographic Material by Emilios Yiallourou, Rafaella Demetriou and Andreas Lanitis. The vast increase in the use of social networks and other internet-based communication tools contributed to the escalation of the problem of exchanging child pornographic material over the internet. The problem of dissemination of child pornographic material could be addressed using dedicated image detection algorithms capable of rating the inappropriateness level of images exchanged through computer networks so that images with inappropriate content involving children are blocked.However, the complexity of the image detection task coupled with the nonexistence of suitable datasets, inhibit the development of efficient algorithms that can be used for detecting offensive images containing children. To deal with the problem, we propose a methodological approach that can be used for supporting the development of child pornography detectors through the generation of synthetic datasets and through the decomposition of the task into a set of simpler tasks for which training data is available. Preliminary results show the promise of the proposed approach. More details for the conference can be found here:” http://ict-2017.org/
- 21st of April 2017: “On April 21st, 2017 the first Review of ENCASE took successfully place at the Università Degli Studi Roma TRE – Italy”.
5. 19th of April 2017: “On April 19 and 20, 2017 the second Plenary Meeting of ENCASE took successfully place, at the Università Degli Studi Roma TRE – Italy”.
6. 10th of April 2017: “In April 10, 2017 Associate Prof. Nick Bassiliades of the Aristotle University presented a lecture on Web Information Extraction, Sematic Entity Identification and Linking”.
The talk covered some aspects of Web Information Extraction so that extracted entities can be uniquely identified by semantic similarity search in Web knowledge bases (a.k.a. Linked Open Data) and linked to their similar entities in these datasets.
7. 1st of December 2016:
“In December 01, 2016 Oracle, one of the world’s largest software
companies, visited CUT”.
8. 6th – 7th of October 2016:
“In October 06 and 07, 2016 the first Plenary Meeting of ENCASE took successfully place, at the Salonica – AUTH Campus at Kalamaria – Greece”.
9. 12th of July 2016:
Dr De Cristofaro gave a talk at Microsoft Research (Redmond) presenting security and fraud detection issues in social networks and the ENCASE action.
10. 27th -29th of June 2016:
Dr. Sirivianos Michael presented the ENCASE project at the #Databeers event @ Campus Madrid. This is a Branded event “organized for the NOTRE project” in collaboration with DataBeers. Details of the event can be found here:(http://netcom.it.uc3m.es/es/eventos/2016/databeers-notre)
11. 22th of April 2016:
In April 22, 2016 Dr Emiliano De Cristofaro was interviewed by Dutch TV channel AVROTROS during the program Opgeligcht (Scammed). The program investigated the world of Facebook like farms — fraudulent services that are paid to artificially inflate the number of likes of a Facebook page. Dr De Cristofaro helped the program clarify the way farms operate, the dangers associated with them for users and page owners alike, as well as the economic ecosystem behind them. Details of the program Opgeligchtcan be found here: (http://opgelicht.avrotros.nl/dossiers/detail/10501/)
12. 22th of March 2016:
CUT participates in the Cybersecurity Strategy task force for Internet Safety and Security concerning children, teachers and parents. The task force is formed by the Cypriot Office of Electronic Communications & Postal Regulations.
13. 10th -12th of March 2016:
Prof. Panayiotis Zaphiris presented the ENCASE project at the IFIP TC13 Open Symposium and meeting that took place between March 10 – 12th 2016 at the University of West London, London, UK. Details of the symposium can be found here: (http://ifip-tc13.org/ifip-tc13-open-symposium-on-hci-london-2016/)
14. 18th and 19th of February 2016:
In February 18 and 19, 2016 the ENCASE kick-off meeting took successfully place, in Limassol, Cyprus. It was organized and hosted by CUT.
15. 5th of February 2016:
The kick-off meeting for ENCASE will take place on 18 February 2016 in the facilities Cyprus University of Technology (Auditorium 1 Building Tassos Papadopoulos), Limassol – Cyprus.
16. 31st of August 2016:
The interdisciplinary Social Computing Research Center of the Cyprus University of Technology (http://socialcomputing.eu/) at CUT coordinates a new research project under the “Marie Skłodowska-Curie Action Research and Innovation Staff Exchanges” of HORIZON2020. The project entitled Enhancing security and privacy in the social web: a user-centered approach for the protection of minors (ENCASE) received excellent rating through a long and competitive evaluation process.